I’m sure you’re asking “WHAT’S THE HYPE ABOUT SQUATTING??”
Well a squat is one of the best lower-body excercises for targeting your glutes, quads, hamstrings and calves!! Now who doesn’t want a nice firm tush the day of their wedding??? Especially if you are going on a honeymoon to a nice warm place where bikinis are welcome! I’m sure you want to flaunt your ASSETS!! 😉
So what are the benefits of squats? These are my favorite benefits of Squatting:
1.Squats build muscle all over – Not only do they build muscle and strength in the quadriceps, hamstrings and calves, they also create the ideal environment throughout your entire body.
2. Squats burn more fat – Muscle burns fat. More muscle burns more fat. Being efficient at packing on muscle mass, the squat is a highly effective way to burn more fat. The more muscle you have on your frame, the more calories you will burn during training and at rest.
3. Squats help maintain mobility – By simply increasing overall lower body strength, squats help maintain mobility immensely. Furthermore, by performing squats in a full range of motion you can strengthen the leg muscles at all points enabling you to help prevent weaknesses and increase strength during other performance-related, mobile activities.
4. Squats strengthen your core – Squats actually help contract the core, namely the abdominal area, effectively and efficiently. Furthermore, studies have concluded these contractions are more intense than the traditional crunch. So, if you want stronger, tighter abs, be sure to squat.
5. Squats are cheap – Squats don’t require an expensive machine or apparatus to be performed. A rack can be used or even pair of dumbbells are all you need to get to work. Overhead squats, kettle bell squats, dumbbell squats all require minimal equipment.
6. Squats will increase flexibility – Again; full range motion will require flexibility and the need to stretch. The more you increase your range of motion throughout your hips, glutes, knees and ankles the better your squat will be. Working on your form and function will motivate you further to acquire all the tools to perform better
After reading all these amazing benefits I hope you are already squatting!!
IF NOT…GET TO IT!!
Try these 3 squats and start targeting Your Lower Body today!
Beginner: Ball Squat
- Standing with feet shoulder-width apart, place a stability ball between your lower back and a wall, hands on hips.
- Bend your knees 90 degrees, making sure they don’t go past your toes.
- Return to start and complete 12 times.
Intermediate: Side-to-Side Squat
- Stand with right side facing a step, hands on hips, right foot on top, left foot on floor.
- Bend knees 90 degrees. Stand up and push off with right foot as you hop onto other side of step.
- Repeat on left side, alternating 10 times.
Advanced: Crab Squat – THESE ARE MY FAVORITE!
- Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and turned out 45 degrees.
- Bend knees 90 degrees into a squat, keeping torso upright and knees over ankles.
- From that position, step left foot to the right, walking sideways.
- Take about 10 steps to the right and repeat on the left.
Source: Fitness magazine 2006
Thanks for reading! ~Yosie~